Thanks to easy flight connections, Vancouver Island is just hours away. Whether you’re visiting family and friends, looking to explore, or making business connections, you’ll never run out of things to do on the island that’s rated as one of the best on the planet by the prestigious Conde Naste Traveler magazine.
It all begins when you land at Nanaimo Airport (YCD), your gateway to Vancouver Island. YCD is centrally-located mid-island, a short drive south of Nanaimo. One of the country’s fastest growing airports, it offers you a seasonal direct flight from Toronto as well as year-round flights through Vancouver and Calgary. A multi-million-dollar air terminal expansion will be completed in fall 2019, giving the travelling public added comfort and amenities.
Wildlife, scenery, family activities, West Coast aboriginal culture, farmers’ markets, rich history, festivals, abundant shopping, wineries, business opportunities — there’s something here for everyone. And thanks to one of the country’s best climates, you can enjoy Vancouver Island year-round.
Explore many of Vancouver Island’s famous attractions, including:
- Surf and storm watching in Tofino
- Frolic at the shore at Long Beach, Rathtrevor Beach and Miracle Beach
- Winter skiing and summertime hiking at Mt. Washington
- the Cowichan Valley, home to the largest First Nations community in B.C.
- Follow the BC Ale trail to local craft breweries, wineries, and cideries
- Building-sized murals in Chemainus depicting the rich history of this seaside community
- The rugged West Coast Trail, a mecca for hikers who love a challenge
- Cathedral Grove, a forest of towering Douglas firs up to 800 years old
- An endless variety of hiking and biking trails
From goats on the roof at a unique country market to bungy jumping over a river to vibrant tech and educational sectors, Central Vancouver Island offers variety, novelty and opportunity. Combine that with incredible views and stunning beauty and it’s easy to see why people from around the world keep coming back here.
The Central Island offers a “getting away from it all” culture that’s a 15-minute flight from Vancouver. Work hard, play year-round, and enjoy some of the freshest fish and seafood you’ll ever taste. And don’t forget the Nanaimo bars!
THAT’S VANCOUVER ISLAND. AND IT’S ALL JUST A FLIGHT AWAY.