As Ontario’s travel regulator, Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO) ensures that all travel agencies and websites based in Ontario adhere to consumer protection laws under the Travel Industry Act, 2002.
What is Consumer Protection?
In Ontario, all travel agencies and websites must be registered with TICO. Once consumers book with a TICO-registered travel agency or website, they can file a claim if they don’t receive their travel services when a travel agency, airline or cruise line has gone out of business.
Who are TICO-certified Travel Agents?
In Ontario, all travel agents must be TICO-certified, and must work for a TICO-registered travel agency or website.
What is ‘full disclosure’?
TICO-certified travel agents must provide you with full disclosure of details and information you’ll need for your trip. Here’s what you should know:
- the total price of the travel services includingtaxes
- the travel dates
- an accurate description of the travel services you will receive
- cancellation penalties
- availability of insurance
- the necessary travel documentation requiredfor each person travelling
• a proper invoice outlining the travel purchase (there are also requirements on what needs to be included on the invoice such as the TICO logo or registration number)
• a clear description of your accommodations (and if your hotel is undergoing renovations, your travel agent is required to advise you of the details that may affect your decision)
Don’t give up your consumer protection. Book with a TICO-registered travel agency or website today! Just look for the logo.
Want to find a TICO-registered travel agency or website? Check out tico.ca.